Former Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Commercials Internship Scholarship Winner, and Top 25 of 20,000 Lifetime Tongal Ideationists Reviews Broadcast Commercials. Also Available for Hire to Evaluate your Commercial.

Friday, December 28, 2018

Over Explaining Video screws up Viral Success.

I was afraid this was going to happen. I found a very charming video of a young girl at the kitchen table refusing all kinds of candy and chocolate that is being offered to her. When the video punchline was delivered, it was pretty obvious this would become a viral video.

And while the video did go viral, every listing I saw for the video mentioned the punchline in the title. You Can't do that! You can't put the surprise ending in the title of the video because then it is no longer a surprise ending.

Gasp.

Depending on where the Video link is copied from and where it is being posted, the punchline will reveal itself at least some of the time if it is included in the title of the video. In this instance I saw the punchline when I found the video on Youtube, but in preview mode I can't see the entire title. On Facebook the entire title and punchline appears to be exposed, here on Blogspot the Title appears to trail off before revealing the punchline.

For all of you who want to make or think you have made a viral video, if you have a surprise ending to your video, Don't give it away in the title.

The earliest date I found of this video was on Digg. Check out the title on Digg, maybe this is why it took another month before it went viral? I bet someone took the punchline word out of the title before it went viral. 

Visit my LinkedIn page to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment